CORE Education Facebook  Twitter 
Search

ipad vs laptop or ipad + laptop

• Public
Started by Jenny Eruera 06 Nov 2012 10:25pm () Replies (8)

Each teacher currently has a laptop. We are currently looking at buying an ipad for each teacher(Just in time for xmas lol). Do any users of ipads still use their laptops? What things cant you do or do you find difficult on the ipad that you can do on the laptop. Are both really needed? 

Replies

• Tara Fagan (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2012 9:29am ()

Great question Jenny.  It will be interesting to see what the response is.  

I am fortunate to have both a laptop and an iPad.  I use both, and often for different purposes.  I tend to use my laptop more for typing and preparing presentations and my iPad for reading and editing.  However, I find that when I travel or attend conferences, I now just take my iPad because it is so portable, does all I need it too and I can rely on the battery lasting.  

Looking forward to seeing others' responses on how they use their devices.

• Leanne Stubbing (View all users posts) 09 Nov 2012 4:25pm ()

I agree with Tara - they both have different purposes.  Are the iPads to be used with children or are they just for teachers use?

• Jenny Eruera (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 6:12am ()

This is in a homebased childcare situation.They will be used with the childen but the children wont have access all of the time because the visitingTeacher will carry the ipad. They may only have short periods of use each as the visiting teacher goes about their visit and then again if they attend playgroup.

• Tracey Mackay (View all users posts) 30 Dec 2012 5:01pm ()

My centre has just purchased two IPads for 85 children - will be interested to see how the use of them evolves over time.

• Tara Fagan (View all users posts) 07 Jan 2013 10:40am ()

Tracey, it will be an exciting start of the year for you and the children with two iPads!  They are certainly great devices for teaching and learning. Please share how you are using them the children and apps that you have found that are useful. ThanksSmile

• Belinda Williams (View all users posts) 10 Sep 2014 12:31pm ()

Hi there, I notice its been quite some time since anyone has added to this group but I'm interesting in how your ipads are working for you & your centre programme. We are toying with the idea of purchasing an ipad which will be for children to use e.g. recording their learning/video etc... some of the team have concerns around introducing "new technology" and spending that much $$ on an ipad. Now that you've had plenty of time with them in your programme I'd like to know; how is the ipads used, are they doing/being used of what you intended? what should we consider? Is there a webworkshop we can access? I'd love to hear in howTracey's centre is going with their ipads too.

• Tara Fagan (View all users posts) 10 Sep 2014 2:36pm ()

Thanks so much Belinda for the question and for keeping the discussion alive Smile  Like you, I will be keen to hear other centres experiences.  

In terms of webinars, you are in luck.  As part of Connected Educators Month, we are running a series of webinar for free.  You can access more detail on the workshopshops here.  We are still adding more workshops but I think you will find the first online workhop/webinar useful as it explores the why and how of using technology with your children.  You might also find the iPads in Education group useful as well as there are a number of videos in the resources section as well as readings.

Looking forward to seeing what other centres share around ICT and iPads in their programme.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.