CORE Education Facebook  Twitter 
Search

Everyday Leadership

Started by Tara Fagan 15 Apr 2012 12:57pm () Replies (6)

Today, I stumbled across this leadership talk.  It is a great 6 minute video from TEDx Toronto.  Drew Dudley talks about leadership through everyday moments and how our actions, beliefs and values can make a difference not only to our own lives but those around us.  

After watching the video, I invite you to share your 'lollipop moment' where someone has made a difference in your life through their everyday leadership, or share where you have made a difference in someone else's life.Smile

Replies

• Donna Chisholm (View all users posts) 03 May 2012 4:12pm ()

What I enjoyed about this article was 1) it was funny, 2) not too long and 3) I thought people have handed me lollipops before and I have passed them on.  I really enjoyed how Drew captured the essence of leadership, that it is not some Degree taught thing - that there are key aspects to it that each and every one of us have.  I consider that these were - encouragement, risk, bravery, resilency, motivation and support.  I have since shared this link with others and they feel that he captures some thing quickly, easily and helps to acknowledge that as teachers we are all leaders at times.  Thanks Tara.

• Tara Fagan (View all users posts) 01 Nov 2012 9:19pm ()

I have just returned back to watch this video - it has been awhile.  I watched it with new eyes.  

I agree Donna, there was so much involved.  I loved the bravery shown by the girl retelling how Drew made a pathway to her life .... and I loved his bravey by saying he could not remember it, no matter how hard he tried.

We all make a difference, it is about our actions - good and bad.  What we do, whether we recall it or not, can alter someones future.  This is a delightful story about leadership, shared with humor, while reminding us those little actions count.

• Keryn Davis (View all users posts) 17 Feb 2013 10:00am ()

I love this piece! I wholeheartedly agree that this is the stuff of transformative leadership. I can think of dozens of lollipop moments people have given me. It's a great question to ask ourselves about whether we let those people know what that moment meant for us. I think I can say that I have told a few people but certainly not all.

We've been talking a lot in the pedagogical leadership cluster I'm part of about the part authenticity plays in leadership and how this contributes to the respect component (no matter what you define as respect), necessary to actualise leadership. I think the lollipop moments are are the stuff of inspiration where there is an emotional response that ignites soemthing for a person. So, I'm thinking lollipop moments are in a way a 'by chance' thing because of the way that person is, rather than by pre-planning or design. I'm not sure you can go out there thinking 'I'm going to give this person a lollipop moment'. Or perhaps you can...either way, I think it's a great idea to think about the qualitites of your 'lollipop moment person' and think about how you might develop some of those qualities too.  

Any thoughts?

• Christine Kirkeby (View all users posts) 18 Feb 2013 8:22pm ()

I have worked with a few  '' inspirational leaders' and I agree with Keryn.  What I have learnt is that lollipop moments are spontaneous maybe its a response to a situation or a pearl of wisdom that challenges your thought processes. The sort of stuff that stops you for a minute and makes you want to talk more.   Just recently I have recognised the lollipop moments we have with children.  The wisdom that comes out of the mouths of children.  I use the 'guess what happened today' to pass the celebration on to parents (or to thank a teacher for making a difference) so that we all benefit from the lollipop moments.  After all its those moments when children remind us why we are in teaching....

• Anita @ Little Einsteins (View all users posts) 04 Jun 2013 11:34am ()

Great video Tara, thanks for sharing.  To me it recitifys what a huge impact one tiny moment can have on a person... or in our case child.  Just stopping and listening to what they have to share, or acknowledging something they have done can change the way they grow up thinking and viewing the world around them - it can be the difference between them having confidence or not, feeling worthwhile or not etc etc. 

I also like what you have said Christine about passing on these celebrations to parents, a child hearing their achievements acknowledged to an important person in their lives may develop a sense of pride in their learning (a lollypop moment for them perhaps), and a parent may grow confidence in their parenting alongside their childs abilities providing the child with the space and opportunities to grow and develop more (a lollypop moment for the parent perhaps too!). 

These small moments are also equally important when we look at the way we handle ourselves around our colleagues, families etc - what are we portraying to those around us through minute interactions or body language - is it likely create lollypop moments for others or are we doing the opposite??

Join this group to contribute to discussions.