CORE Education Facebook  Twitter 
Search

Four Year Old Programmes

Started by Trish Robbins 16 Feb 2015 11:36am () Replies (5)

One of our centres in my ece cluster is reviewing their four year old programme, They would like to know if centres do you have a four year old programme and if so why or if not why not?

Any good readings or links relating to this topic, pros & cons would be appreciated. I am looking forward to this discussion and It would be great to have thoughts from a variety of early childhood settings on this topic. 

Replies

• Belinda Williams (View all users posts) 20 Feb 2015 2:36pm ()

Thank you for sharing your self review Ashleigh. We have been running our extension group in the same manner as yours (open to whomever wants to join in) but this leads me to think about why we are even doing it and so we are reviewing it. 

• Trish Robbins (View all users posts) 20 Feb 2015 7:16am ()

Hi Ashleigh thank you for your wonderful sharing. I was wondering what you call this group now that it is open up to all ages? Also how do you decide/plan on a topic of interest? Do you use children's individual observations and plan around their interests for this group? 

I look forward to further discussions/pondering on this:)

Trish

• Sandra Rasmussen (View all users posts) 19 Feb 2015 6:04pm ()

Ashleigh

What a great contribution.  You and your colleagues are obviously thinking about what it is you are offering and making it fluid!

I would have one question which you may or may not have considered...Seeing as you have opened up the age range for the children do you need the specific frame of the 'extension time'?  i.e does this extension happen spontaneously for all children?

No wrong answers here just a pondering...  ;)

Sandy

• Ashleigh van de Stolpe (View all users posts) 19 Feb 2015 2:59pm ()

Hi Trish

We recently completed a spontaneous review on our four year old group. This group would meet at a set time each morning with a teacher which led the group for a term at a time. Children very much looked forward to their fourth birthday so that they could find out what was happening in this exclusive group time (it took place in a separate room). As teachers we follow an inquiry learning approach for this group.

We decided to remove the age restriction on this group and although it took a bit of adjusting for everyone we have found many pros as well as a few things that we are still working out...

• We have discovered some of the amazing potential of our wonderful 3 (and even 2) year olds
    • Children's play is less disrupted because they can choose whether they stop playing and join the group
    • Because children have chosen to join the group they are more genuinely interested in the topic and are able to pay attention and contribute
    • Some parents of four year olds were concerned that if their children did not choose to take part in the group they would be missing out on something very important - we are ensuring that each child is having their learning extended and this is obvious in their learning journals, we also have to ensure that we are openly communicating with whanau about children's learning.

Hopefully this will give you something to think about!

Ashleigh :)

Join this group to contribute to discussions.